Monday, March 5, 2007



Whether or not I follow what may expected of me with a degree in my hand, the lessons I've come to realize here in my escapades in Lethbridge are priceless. They say experience lends itself closer to knowledge than any book can teach. I'm not sure who they are, maybe I made that up just now. The truth remains; before one can go about designing the next trend of our time, one must first know how to control their own abilities. Comfort in your skin, I guess is what I'm trying to say.

I don't agree with our society or the aspects it does and does not value. I don't agree with the emphasis we put on 'things' or the way we hold celebrities on a pedestal higher than that of even our elected officials. The whole concept of consumer fetishism appears backwards to me, and yet I enrolled in a program that teaches me how to perpetuate it.

This font poster was more than an assignment for me. In fact, the design began before it was even assigned. Learning to harness all the whizzing thoughts and passing images that are constantly flashing through my mind is something I can only do through trial and error; gaining experience and insight into the background of design is just now something I have learned to do.

On one hand its exciting to see the fruits of my labour finally coming together into something I can be proud to show to the vastness of the internet, in all its glory. On the other, its a cold reminder that I'm learning how to continue a festering tradition of want and desire above that of honour and dignity; the ideology of "he who dies with the most toys wins" over the supposedly inherent good us humans are capable of.

its a 'Ketch22' I suppose.


No comments: